Thursday 5 November 2015

Nic Webb II





Nick Webb trained as a painter but now works exclusively with wood hand crafting green wood into spoons, bowls and sculptural forms. 
"I am passionate about working with natural materials and use combinations of traditional tools and modern methods to produce hand crafted objects of art and design. Many of the tools that I use today belonged to my Great Great Grandfather, a Journeyman working as a carpenter in Devon in the 1800's. Working with greenwood (unseasoned wood) allows great freedom in my making. It can twist, move and change colour in the seasoning process, creating wonderful natural surprises."
Nick is based in Camberwell London and uses wood that he sources locally from tree surgeons.
"The woods I use come from many sources. I am particularly keen on British deciduous woods as I spent my childhood in Suffolk surrounded by woodland. I enjoy walking and use these trips to collect wood from all over the UK. The many parks and gardens of London contain a diverse selection of woods and can offer great variety when interesting trees are felled." Nic Webb


No comments:

Post a Comment