Monday 17 June 2024

Lindsay Mahood

 



It has been just over a week since I managed to get through to Glasgow, for a frantic visit to the degree show. My first interaction was with the wonderful Linsday Mahood who explained all about her brilliant research and collection made from  reclaimed Scottish Oak.
"My collection continues my academic inquiry into the untold stories of women who championed the suffragette movement of the 1900s. I’ve reinterpreted the hunger strike medal awarded to these courageous women. In reworking these medals, I aimed to amplify their significance and visibility, drawing inspiration from the boldness of the suffragette spirit. I wanted these medals to be unmistakable, to demand attention and recognition for these women’s remarkable bravery and sacrifice. I am committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility and have brought this into the crafting collection. To this end, I have chosen to work primarily with reclaimed oak and recycled Sterling Silver.
The collection’s specific pieces hold particular significance, each telling the story of Scottish suffragettes such as Flora Drummond, Ethel Moorehead, and Dr Dorothea Chalmers Smith. These pieces are poignant reminders of these trailblazing women’s indomitable spirit and unwavering determination. Ultimately, my work is a tribute to the resilience, courage, and enduring legacy of the suffragette movement. I aim to spark conversations about gender equality, activism, and the power of art to inspire social change." Lindsay Mahood









 

No comments:

Post a Comment