Thursday 21 August 2014

Marcia Wolfson Ray





Marcia Wolfson Ray's fantastic sculptures exploring line, space and volume, and remind us that thoroughly exploring different materials and their qualities and weaknesses has to be a key element in good design.

"After collecting the materials- bamboo, hibiscus, dog fennel, corn, reeds, grasses, and various other plants, they may sit in my studio for years and its during this time I can see what happens to them. Some of the materials petrify and become stronger while others disintegrate, turning to dust. This gives me a hint of what I can build with them. The idea my imagination starts with may not mesh with the physical reality of the material I'm using, so I have to allow for a certain degree of improvisation, that lets the work evolve and dictate its own form." Marcia Wolfson Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment