Tuesday 16 February 2016

Jeremy Atkinson





The Clog Maker's Apprentice - Ep 1 - Tales Of Forgotten Crafts from Duncan Parker on Vimeo.

This video shows Jeremy Atkinson working with his apprentice creating clogs.

I'm the sole remaining traditional hand carver making bespoke clogs in England. English clogs were always part wood part leather, the dictionary definition being "a composite of wood & leather". I hand cut the leather uppers and hand carve the soles. I'm of a line stretching back centuries.
I've taught Geraint Parfitt the only hand carver in Wales.
The English tended to carve welsh and west country alder, scottish birch and lincolnshire willow. The Welsh used alder, birch & sycamore. It was said that they paid more for sycamore. I've found it to last much longer in mud. Jeremy Atkinson
You can watch further video's about Jeremy and his craft here.

No comments:

Post a Comment